Cricket Tour Report - Final Update

27 February 2013

After the superb T20 day at SACS and the sunset visit up Table Mountain the boys were in need of a good rest on Friday. We headed to Llandudno beach in the morning with a view to chill out, but this merely turned into a touch rugby morning with TJAC or for others, a catching competition in the freezing Atlantic Ocean with CWL & TWEC!

After lunch in Camps Bay, we headed back to the beach, this time to Camps Bay beach where in bumped into D Shortt who was on holiday for half term. It was a glorious afternoon and everyone enjoyed themselves.

On return to the hotel, we chilled out for an hour or two before heading to the V&A Waterfront for the end of tour dinner. It was a great evening, lots of fun was had & good food was enjoyed by all. S. Tallis & S. Eyre were even seen dancing on one of the stages in front of hundreds of tourists which was very amusing.

Early on the Saturday morning we cleared everything out of the hotel for the final time, before heading to Bishops for our final match of the tour.

They won the toss and decided to bat on what was another lovely day in Cape Town. H. Maxwell and M. Martin Zakheim – our top two bowlers on tour – opened up and made the opposition work hard from the start. An early wicket, LBW from Maxwell, allowed their number 3 into the crease. He was a class act and reached 95 off 70 odd balls in a demonstration of powerful hitting. He timed the ball beautifully and he was a pleasure to watch. Our bowlers did make him work hard, however, and we starved him of the strike as much as possible. After 44 overs they reached 200-6 which was a very good effort considering the strength of their batting line up. Z. Ahmed, N. Andreae, A. Sangha, O. Chalmers & M. George all bowled good spells and posed problems. M. George got the big scalp with about 10 overs to go after our captain, N. Andreae, held onto a high catch from their premier batsman on the deep mid-wicket boundary.

In response, S. Tallis and A. Sangha got off to solid start and put on 23 after 10 overs or so. Their bowlers bowled good lines and lengths throughout and scoring opportunities were not easy to come by. N. Andreae and A. Ferreira came in at 3 and 4, the latter doing well to hit 28 off 60 balls. (28 was the 2nd highest total in the match showing how dominant their one player was.) Other batsmen came in and did well, but if truth be told too many gave their wickets away with a poor shot or a silly decision. Maxwell and Scott Lyon both reached 10 as we went along at a slow rate. We also batted for 44 overs before being bowled out for 103 with just two overs or so remaining in the game. Bishops thoroughly deserved their win, but we were proud of our efforts against one of the top prep school sides in South Africa.

After a few presentations and words of thanks, we departed for the airport for the long trip home. It had been a memorable trip and everyone was sad to leave.

It had been a superb trip and one which sets us up for the 2013 cricket season very well. Many lessons will have been learnt on the tour and one hopes that we can build on the progress made on the tour when our season begins in April. Roll on the summer!


To read more stories from Caldicott, take a look at our News Archive and keep an eye on our Instagram,  Facebook and Twitter pages.